Friday, August 28, 2009

Knitting & driving....

No - I'm not gonna admit to knitting while I'm driving, that's crazy talk!! Besides, how could I text & email then??? Hmmmm?? Anyways, you know my knitting is always with me, in my purse. I'll knit a row or 2 while waiting in a drive-thru for a drink, or at the bank - whatever. So, I take Melanie by to get her key from the hubby so she can go to CarX to pick up the truck. I'm putting a few rows on the 2nd orangeade sock (yes - one is done already) and when she comes out, I stick it back into my bag. I back out, and feel something soft slide across my knees. It's my 1/2 knitted sock! Out of the bag & now the yarn is wrapped around the steering column! And it's IN the steering column, where the 2 parts go together for the tilt wheel! WTH?? How did that happen? So we are sitting there, trying to get it untangled, and can't seem to find a beginning or an end, except IN the already knitted part.

Finally, after tugging & pulling, I feared the sock was gonna suffer some harm, so I get in my purse for the sewing kit. Mel says "What are you gonna do - cut it??" Yup - that's what I did. Hated to do that, but couldn't figure for the life of me how to get it undone. So, it's cut & what happens? The piece of yarn I cut just slides right outta the steering column. Ain't that sweet?? LOL

But, on a more serious note - my day has not been as nearly bad as the folks @ Whirlpool cooperation here in EVV. Fifty years here in town, and now they are moving what's left of production (they've been cutting back, year after year, piece by piece) to one of their facilities in Mexico. 1,100 jobs - gone. Who knows how many jobs overall, with all the parts supplier plants in EVV that count Whirlpool as their major customer. Sad times - and they still wanna build that stupid stadium downtown in hopes some big team will say "Hey, look - let's move to southwest Indiana!! It looks like a happening place!!" Yeah - right. It's the old Field Of Dreams Syndrome (build it & they will come). The city council ought to take a look at all the empty warehouses, strip malls and storefronts that are empty in this town and get a clue.

Okay - stepping down from the soapbox, now.


Peace, ya'll!

No comments:

Post a Comment