Monday, August 31, 2009

The end of summer??? So soon??? Waaahhhhh........

Yes, kids - I think Fall is on her way. The weather is SO beautiful - in the 70's, breezy, pleanty of sunshine too, but not so hot - just perfect. Makes me think of colder weather being just around the corner - wpn't seem so silly then that I'm knitting all these sox, will it?? LOL

Yup - just about 1/2 done with my SEVENTH pair. Did I say SEVEN??? Yes, I did - making a pair of thick camo-colored sox for Greg to use when he goes hunting. You won't see 'em much, under the Carhartts, but I think they are so awesome!! I used this yarn from Hobby Lobby, called I Love This Yarn. It's worsted weight, and I used size 6 DPN's. The colorway is Green Camo Stripe & I used Bobby Zeigler's Thuja pattern to make a nice, calf-hugging sock. Take a look:



I love the way the colors striped on the sock - I'll have to remember to start the 2nd one in the same place as this one, so they look the same. After this, tho - I'm gonna dye my sock blank. I've decided. The other sox can wait - because I'll need a pair if it's going to be cooler outside! Toe sox, too - make like the Japanese tabi sox, with the big toe seperate so I can wear my flip-flops with 'em. What is a sock flat, you say?? Well, it's a flat piece of knitting, usually done by machine in undyed sock yarn. You use dyes to paint, dip, splash or pour any design or color that you want onto the flat knitting. Let it dry, then unravel one end & start knitting your sox!! Now, be aware that the design or pattern on the flat will look NOTHING like your actual sock once it's knitted, but that's half the fun, I think. Seeing how the colors are going to end up when it's all said & done.

There'll be photos of the whole process, good ones, I promise. The company that makes the dye I'm gonna use wants pics of start to finish, because they may use them on their website. So - that'll be my next project that involves sox. Okay - better get back to work now!!


Peace!!

No comments:

Post a Comment